10 victims of mysterious disease discharged from Zambo hospital PDF Print E-mail
Tuesday, 05 July 2011 16:47

Government physicians has discharged from the hospital 10 patients from Sibuco, Zamboanga del Norte who  were struck by a mysterious disease that has killed four people and hospitalized 16 others on Sunday

Sibuco Mayor  Bong Edding said doctors at the Zamboanga City Medical Center has discharged 10 of their patients suffering from an unknown disease. Six others were placed under further observation.

Edding said medical and  laboratory tests conducted on the 20 patients were also  sent to Manila  for further analysis to determine the kind of disease that have struck the coastal Barangay of Montebo in Sibuco last week.

Medical experts at the government hospital suspect the victims may have suffered  from the “Guillain  Barre Syndrome,” since  the patients’ lower limbs  are swollen and  they complained of cramps, loss of appetite and vomiting, Edding said.

Edding  who personally  attended to the needs of the patients said his administration will shoulder the medical expenses of the  victims.
He said that food and medicines and financial assistance were also extended by him to the  relatives of the  victims who are in this city taking care of the patients.

On Sunday, physicians  in this city were  baffled by a mysterious disease that has struck 20 people from Sibuco.
Four of the  patients  affected by the unknown disease died at the hospital  while 16 others  were placed under medication.
Hospital officials said there had been similar cases in the past in which the patients came from different places. But this time, they are puzzled because all the 19 patients come from one place — Sibuco. — Nonoy E. Lacson