DPWH slates grandstand project bidding next week PDF Print E-mail
Wednesday, 03 February 2016 10:55

The Department of Public Works and Highways (DPWH) conducted last week the pre-bidding conference for the P202-million rehabilitation of the Joaquin F. Enriquez Memorials Sports Complex also known as the Grandstand, and the actual bidding has been slated for next week.

Dr. Elmeir Apolinario, officer-in-charge of the City Administrator’s Office, announced at Monday’s press briefing that four construction firms had already signified their intent to bid for the project but other contractors are welcomed and encouraged to participate the bidding.

Apolinario was optimistic that the DPWH, being the implementing agency of the project, will be able to start the grandstand’s rehabilitation before the election ban.

For her part, Mayor Beng Climaco assured the public that the grandstand will really be rehabilitated and restored back to its old glory, if not better than it was before the siege.

“What we want is that the grandstand will have all the facilities and amenities it had before but following the standards of the different sporting events,” she said.

Climaco, who met with Public Works Secretary Rogelio Singson on the Z3R Project in Manila last week, said the secretary has instructed the DPWH regional office 9 to ensure the implementation of the grandstand restoration, renovation and rehabilitation project.

Early on, it was revealed that the whole project costing P202-million will be implemented by phases with five to 10 contractors, and the bulk of the funds will be taken from the National Disaster Risk Reduction Management Council (NDRRMC) chaired by retired Gen. Alexander Pama.

It was further revealed that the project can be completed in six to seven months’ time, if the timeline is strictly followed, beginning from the bidding process next week.

Once restored, the grandstand will then have new bleachers, playing courts, and manicured lawn of international standard.— Vic Larato