After BBL failure, police on high alert PDF Print E-mail
Friday, 05 February 2016 13:20

by ALLEN ABASTILLAS

The Police Regional Office-9  has declared a full alert status after Congress failed to pass Bangsamoro Basic Law ( BBL) when it adjourned session on Wednesday.

PRO-9 Deputy Regional Director for Operations Sr. Supt. Debold M. Sinas said that the command has always been in full alert  since last year, but the demise of the BBL, a law aimed at sealing the peace agreement with the Moro Islamic Liberation Front (MILF), has put the PNP on higher alert status.

Sinas  BBL is a political matter within the purview of the House of  Representatives and Senate and the police and military have already a contingency plan and security measures in for any untowards events.

He explained that he police role is only to secure the people in the region in coordination with the military.

Sinas urged the public to help the police and military by reporting on  suspected persons or lawless groups in their communities.

They can text their help to any police and military communications or through social media.

Sinas said that PRO9 has not received any information on any movements of armed groups or suspected groups in the region.

Sinas urged the people to stay vigilant and alert.

Meanwhile, PRO-9 spokeperson Chief Insp. Roger Alabata disclosed that a total of 35 guns have been seized so far by police personnel  since the start of the Commission on Elections gun ban. Eleven were confiscated by the Zamboanga City Police and 16 persons were arrested.  Six guns were seized by the Zamboanga Sibugay Police Provincial Office and seven persons were arrested. Ten guns were seized by the Zamboanga del Sur PPO and six persons were arrested and eight guns were seized by Zamboanga del Norte and six persons were arrested. — Allen Abastillas