Beheading perpetrated by ‘LTOs’ in Lanao Sur — AFP PDF Print E-mail
Thursday, 03 March 2016 13:33

The Armed Forces of the Philippines (AFP) on Wednesday vehemently condemned members of a “local terrrorist organization” (LTO) for beheading a captured soldier during the course of the military offensive in Lanao Del Sur last month.

The incident can also be described as a “war crime”, AFP spokesperson Brig. Gen. Restituto Padilla said Wednesday.

He added that the military will file appropriate charges against the violators who are members of the Maute Group.

The soldier, Padilla said, was beheaded during the course of the counter-offensive shortly after LTO members attacked a detachment of the 51st Infantry Battalion in Butig, Lanao Del Sur last February 20.

Clearing operations are still ongoing as the LTOs left scores of improvised explosive devices in the areas they occupied in Butig town.

The operation which lasted for more than a week resulted in the killing of an estimated 42 brigands and the capture of the latter’s main bases.

This however, resulted in the death of three government troops, and wounding of 11 others.

Padilla said the “extremist nature” of the LTOs made them forego all rules of civilized warfare which calls for the human treatment of all captured combatants.

He also stressed the AFP, together with the government, will not hesitate to apply the full force of the military against such groups who are threatening the peace and stability in rural communities.