City Hall downplays Masepla ‘bombshell’ PDF Print E-mail
Friday, 18 March 2016 14:28

By VIC LARATO

The city government through City Disaster Risk Reduction Management Officer Dr. Elmeir Apolinario on Thursday downplayed what Councilor Percival Ramos described as a “bombshell” at the Masepla-3 transitory site for the internally displaced persons (IDPs) in Mampang. The bombshell that never was.

Dr. Apolinario pointed out that the shelters at Masepla-3 transitory site were temporary in nature in the sense the IDPs will not be staying there forever as they will be eventually transferred to their assigned permanent housing units.

Thus, he said the 160 shelters at Masepla-3, whose occupants have already been moved to the different permanent housing units, were demolished by the city government as these had been used for illegal activities like prostitution and drugs.

Councilor Ramos questioned the city government for asking a resolution from the august body, authorizing the mayor to construct new shelters at Masepla-3 when there were shelters demolished.

But, Apolinario countered Ramos, saying the authority being asked from the City Council was for the mayor to sign the contract to extend or renew the use of the lot at Masepla-3 for another one year and not for construction of new shelters.

“Hende quita para levanta o construi nuevo casa alla. Ta pidi quita authority for the mayor to renew the use of the lot,” reiterated Apolinario, head of the temporary shelter cluster.

He also debunked the councilor’s claim on the construction of the road at Masepla-3, saying the road was constructed using part of the P50-million bridging fund that Malacañang has downloaded to the Department of Social Welfare and Development (DSWD).

“The road project and all other expenses from the bridging fund of P50-million had passed through the procurement process like the bidding and all allocations thereof are always subject for liquidation, which we are doing now,” Apolinario said in an interview over TV-11.— Vic Larato