Ramos: Masepla issue opens ‘can of worms’ PDF Print E-mail
Friday, 18 March 2016 14:33

Councilor Percival Ramos on Thursday revealed that the Masepla controversy has opened a “can of worms”.

Several issues cropped up after the presentation of Councilor Percival Ramos on the Masepla transition site and the dialogue held with invited resource persons, on March 15  at the City Council.

Ramos had earlier questioned why the City Government is asking the International Organization for Migration (IOM) to construct new additional houses when there were more than 150 houses that were unoccupied and then demolished by the City Government.

It was gathered the City Engineer’s Office does not even know how many houses they demolished. It could not account for the materials coming from the demolished houses.

Another issue that surfaced was that of a special account opened by the City Government to receive donations from national and local donors to include donations coming from Local Government Units, NGOs, private individuals and others. In her State of the City Report, last January 15, 2014, Mayor Beng Climaco even thanked Councilor Agan for initiating the opening of the said account.

Climaco was quoted as saying, “Si Con. Agan ya inicia el abrida del special account para el maga donacion financial.” How much entered into this account and how much was expended and where did it go?” Ramos asked.

Related to this was the revelation of CSWDO officer Ma. Socorro Rojas who went to Manila and attended a committee hearing. As a result of what transpired in the committee hearing she said that no less than P500 million was donated by international donors direct to DSWD.

“Were these funds for Z3R projects, for construction of temporary or permanent shelters or for food and relief assistance?” Ramos asked.

The third issue was the concreting of the road-right-of-way leading to Masepla transitory site in the amount of P7.8 million.

How can the City Government ask for authority from the City Council to concrete a road, when said road was already being constructed and nearing completion prior to the authority being sought for?

Related to this was the issue of the funding of the P7.8-million. It turns out that the funds came from DSWD and was downloaded to the City Government. Did the implementation of project follow the procurement process when no authority was given to the council before the project started?, Ramos again questioned.

He also revealed the issue of extension of the amendment of the Memorandum of Agreement (MOA) with regards to the time frame. The original MOA approved through Resolution No. 629 by the City Council on May 20, 2014 was for a period of 1 year commencing from May 2014 to May 2015. When the MOA expired there was no request for extension, it is only now that the City Government is asking the City Council to approve the amended MOA for a period of 1 year commencing Feb. 1, 2016 to March 1, 2017. Cap. Leonard Aliangan agreed to the extension only for humanitarian reasons but it turns out that the Barangay Chairman and Kagawads of Mampang are against to the construction of additional houses.

More and more issues are coming out with regards to the Masepla transitory site. The session of the City Council last Tuesday, March 15 which lasted for more than 4 hours was marred by heated discussions which eventually led to a walk-out of City Councilors allied with Mayor Climaco which prompted Vice-Mayor Cesar Iturralde to say “Iyo ya lang el yellow ya queda”.

In spite of the walkout of the Councilors aligned with Mayor Climaco, the Council session continued as there was quorum. (Pers Ramos)