Abu’s new ransom deadline for 3 foreign captives on April 25 PDF Print E-mail
Sunday, 17 April 2016 14:10

The Abu Sayyaf has threatened anew to behead three foreigners and a Filipina being held captive in Jolo island if ransom is not paid in the next 10 days.

Canadians John Ridsdel, 68, and Robert Hall, 50, Norwegian resort owner Kjartan Sekkingstad, 56, and a Filipina identified as Marites Flor were seized by gunmen at a luxury marina in Samal island near Davao City on September 21 last year.

“We’re told that this is the absolute final warning so this is a final urgent appeal to governments, Philippines, Canadian, and families... They will behead me, ” said Ridsdel, a former Canadian mining executive, in a video posted by the ISIS-aligned militant group Friday.

The video was released a week after a previous deadline  passed and the Abu Sayyaf has reduced the ransom for the three from P1 billion to P300 million each.

“I am told to tell you that my ransom is 300 million [Philippines pesos],” Hall reportedly said. The purported ransom amount is equal to about C$8.3 million.

“Notice to the families, to the Canadian government, and to the Philippine government. Now that the deadline of warning is over last April 8, 2016, but still you procrastinate. Now, this is already an ultimatum. Once you don’t meet the demand, we will certainly behead one among the four (hostages) this coming April 25 at exactly 3 p.m.,” GMA News reported one of the armed captors as saying in the video.

The video showed Abu Sayyaf militants with machetes to the necks of the three foreign hostages who were pleading the governments of Canada and the Philippines to get them out of captivity.

The first video was uploaded on YouTube on October 12,  with the 3 foreigners appealing  for Philippine authorities to stop military operations against the Abu Sayyaf militants notorious for beheading their hostages if ransom is not paid.

The latest video was the fourth coming from the militant group.

The Canadian government say it is aware of the latest video released by the Abu Sayyaf. It would not go into any details about the situation or what efforts have been made to secure the release of the two Canadian men.

“The Government of Canada will not comment or release any information which may compromise ongoing efforts or endanger the safety of Canadian citizens,” Global Affairs Canada spokesperson Rachna Mishra said in an email Friday afternoon.

Ridsdel and Hall were kidnapped from a marina in the southern Philippines resort island of Samal on Sept. 21. They have been held captive along with Marites Flor, reported to be Hall’s Filipna partner, and Norwegian hostage, Kjartan Sekkingstad, the manager of the Ocean View Samal Resort.