Beng orders PNP, TFZ to take steps on poll-related violence PDF Print E-mail
Thursday, 21 April 2016 12:06

By VIC LARATO

Mayor Beng Climaco has ordered the Zamboanga City Police Office under Supt. Luisito Magnaye and Task Force Zamboanga headed by Col. Juvymax Uy to exercise precautions as the May 9 elections near.

Climaco said her order came in the wake of two election-related incidents that occurred in the city where the victims were politicians from neighboring provinces.

She instructed the police to increase visibility of more checkpoints and more Comelec gun ban initiatives in the city.

The chief executive likewise appealed to politicians from Basilan, Sulu and Tawi-Tawi to contend with the security preparations whenever they come to Zamboanga.

“Inasmuch as we want them fully secured, but they have to contend themselves with our security measures, subject to the guidelines of the Commission on Elections,” Climaco said during her weekly press briefing Monday.

According to her, she had a chance to talk and convey this personally to candidates from the Autonomous Region in Muslim Mindanao (ARMM) during the signing of a peace covenant last week.

Climaco stood witness to the peace covenant among ARMM candidates headed by gubernatorial candidates, incumbent Mujiv Hataman and Sulu Vice Gov. Abdu Sakur Tan, at Garden Orchid Hotel.

“I told them to coordinate with the local security forces every time they come to the city,” she said, adding that Zamboanga is open to all and for them to stay.

“We have already forewarned and warned the police and military to exercise precautionary measures so that we will not have a spillover of election related incidents, granted that threat of these politicians has increased as elections near,” the mayor further said.

She said the authorities are still investigating the shooting incidents involving two politicians from neighboring provinces, which could be elected to the upcoming elections.— Vic Larato