AGE cases decline: Death toll soars to 14 PDF Print E-mail
Friday, 13 May 2016 11:57

By SHEILA COVARRUBIAS

From 9 last week, the fatalities due to gastroenteritis outbreak rose to 14 based on the latest data obtained by the City Health Office (CHO).

City Health Officer Dr. Rodelin Agbulos said while the number of cases of acute gastroenteritis (AGE) has decreased by 50% in the last two weeks, the death toll however has soared further.

Most of those who died were children under 5 years old.

Agbulos reiterated his call for residents to practice proper hygiene and general cleanliness and to immediately take steps to stay hydrated whenever one is afflicted with gastroenteritis. “Firme quita ta abla, no mas ya espera tene severe dehydration si tiene ya sintoma de AGE.”

He said the intensified information drive on the prevention and control of AGE focusing on highly affected barangays and the distribution of rehydration solutions contributed to the significant decrease in AGE admissions.

The CHO has mobilized barangay health workers and sanitation inspectors to help in the information campaign aside from utilizing the tri-media and other available platforms to reach out to as many residents as possible and help prevent and control AGE. — Sheila Covarrubias