Parents can file complaints vs officials on non-implementation of Ordinance No. 229 PDF Print E-mail
Saturday, 23 July 2011 14:13

Councilor Rudy Lim, chairman of the City Council’s Committee on  Education, yesterday reminded parents that they can file complaints if barangay officials, law enforcers and the Department of Education are not implementing Ordinance Number 229 series of 2000 prohibiting minor students to play computer games at any internet café in the city during class hours.

Lim said that  if in the case of barangay officials who are not implementing the ordinance, complaints can be filed with the office of Councilor Rey Candido, who is the chairman of the Council’s Committee on Good Governance.

In the case of law enforcers, complainants can go to the People’s Law Enforcement Board or athe Police Regional Office 9’s Inernal Affairs Service.     As to scchool officials, the complaints can be forwarded to the DepEd Regional Office.

Lim has received reports that minor students play violent games or view pornography websites instead of visiting informative sites in the internet whenever they are in an internet café.

According to Lim,  under Ordinance 229, minor students are not allowed to  play computer games in internet café from 7:00 a.m to 5:00 p.m during class hours.
He said that if internet café allows minors to play games and  not related to school  curicuclum, the café can be fined P 5,000. for first offense. Second offense is P 5,000 fine and 15-day suspension of their business and third offense is P5,000 fine and 30-day suspension. — Allen Abastillas