Tough yet gentle PDF Print E-mail
Friday, 17 June 2016 14:33

Sound Snipes

BY Jimmy Cabato

The plan of President-elect Rodrigo Duterte to impose a nationwide curfew on minors, evidently meets no opposition from any sector. So reflects all major national dailies. And same is also felt here.

One of the first to declare support for it is re-elected Cong. Celso L. Lobregat.

* * * *

The City Agriculturist Office (CAO) has announced it continues to give assistance drought-stricken areas in Zamboanga. Based on CA Diosdado Palacat, his office extends its help even to barangays near the city proper, with the next as Tumaga.

Good move, Boy.

* * * *

A face-off between the incoming chief of the Philippine National Police (PNP), Chief Supt. Ronald ‘Bato’ dela Rosa, and one of three police generals who are believed to be involved in the illegal drug trade nears. This comes upon demand of Pres.-elect Rodrigo Duterte for these PNP officials to resign before he assumes his post in Malacañang on June 30.

Dela Rosa confirmed the meeting, but he declined to name the police official.

He said he would use diplomacy in persuading the three police generals to quit their posts, saying he will request them “not to tarnish the image of the PNP and not to wait for us to release evidence against them.”

Dela Rosa again shows the way — That is that one can be tough, yet stay cool and pleasing.

And that is for his big boss to ape.

Clearly a tough-talk warning as pronounced, try this for size, “… they better watch out because Digong (Duterte’s nickname) and Bato are coming to town,” dela Rosa said.

Yeaaaah... Tough, yes, yet gentle.

* * * *

The beheadings of kidnapped victims - Filipinos or foreigners - and such other monstrous atrocities is one thing that people would love to watch how Duterte will act, especially so that the latest decapitated Canadians and the remaining victims were abducted within his turf and under his watch in the Island Garden City of Samal in Davao.

The group of victims consisted of two Canadians - both gone now - a Norwegian and a Filipina, who again pleaded for their lives and sought swift action from their respective governments on Wednesday as the notorious kidnap group warned of another execution should it fail to get its ransom demand of P600 million.

* * * *

The too late the hero, it appears. Outgoing President BS Aquino seems all talk-no action, as he disclosed that he pondered placing the entire Sulu under martial law as part of the intensified operations against the Abu Sayyaf.

That possibility, he admitted, was discussed three weeks before the ransom deadline set by the kidnappers for Hall’s release.

See, three weeks before the second beheading deadline, but what was done?

Uwebos (Egg).  In local lingo, zero.

* * * *

In yet another tradition-breaking move, Duterte will hold separate oath-taking rites with presumptive Vice President Leni Robredo. According to a Robredo aide, the Duterte words they received were “he wants to have separate oath-taking ceremonies on June 30.

This simply signals the lack of warmth in relations between the two incoming officials. Earlier on, Duterte, who has shown no interest in appointing Robredo to a Cabinet post, has bluntly told her team he does not want her in Malacañang for the presidential inauguration.

This will be the first time the two top officials of the land will be sworn into office separately.

And if the Robredo camp pushes for Leni’s oath-taking before barangay captain Ronaldo Coner of Barangay Punta Tarawal, Calabanga, the “smallest, farthest and poorest” village in her province, the rites may just have to be held in her home place.

Per account of  Agapito Rosales, a retired provincial prosecutor, a barangay official has jurisdiction only within his village and if the oath that Coner is to administer is done in  Manila, it would have “no force and effect.”

For his part, Duterte has opted for a quick and frugal ceremony at Malacañang, dispensing with elaborate rites at Quirino Grandstand, where some of the previous Presidents have taken their oaths, including outgoing President Aquino.

* * * *

The word war between  Duterte and Senator-elect Leila de Lima rages on.

In an early morning press conference here on Thursday, the incoming President said he would launch an investigation on De Lima for her supposedly slow response in busting the illegal drug trade inside the New Bilibid Prison.

Duterte said that it took the former Justice Secretary seven months to start doing anything about his tip on the  proliferation of methamphetamine hydrochloride (shabu) inside the national penitentiary.

It turns out that the rift between Duterte and De Lima goes a long way.

In 2014, Duterte testified in the Senate and threatened to kill alleged rice smuggler Davidson Bangayan. And de Lima, censured him. “Shabu (inside the Bilibid) started during her time! Siya ang magbantay sa akin (She’d better watch out, adding “And she will censor me)? I called her attention when she criticized me after I testified in the Senate on rice smuggling.

“Minura ko siya dun (I cursed her there.)

* * * *

De Lima is in for more trouble. A woman who previously revealed that ranking officials of the Department of Justice (DOJ) are receiving bribe money from the Ampatuans, has accused Justice Secretary Leila de Lima of receiving P5 million every month from Maguindanao Governor Esmael “Toto” Mangudadatu.

The accusation is contained in the four-page affidavit of Jerramy T. Joson where she also accused Mangudadatu and 10 others of serious illegal detention.

How credible Joson is, is yet to be determined. She has flip-flopped on the issue previously. Last year, Joson revealed she has in her possession a notebook containing names of Justice Undersecretary Francisco Baraan, and several prosecutors handling the Maguindanao massacre case as recipients of bribe money from the Ampatuans.

year, she recanted her statement and said she was only forced by Mangudadato and his lawyer Atty. Nena Santos to make such allegations.

* * * *

The Manila-based Journalists Association may now be grinning from ear to ear.

Lawyer Salvador Panelo is no longer the presidential spokesperson and has been given a new assignment by President-elect Rodrigo Duterte.

It will be recalled, newsmen opposed Panelo’s appointment as Presidential, due to his lawyering of then Mangundadatos in the infamous massacre in Maguindao that included several journalist-victims.

Panelo on Friday confirmed that he was named chief presidential legal counsel, but insisted he will do the talking all serious matters..

Former pastor Ernesto “Ernie” Abella, who first faced the media this week after announcing the latest incoming Cabinet members, is the official presidential spokesperson.

* * * *

The United Nationalist Alliance (UNA) has asked the Commission on Elections (Comelec) to reject Liberal Party’s (LP) request for an extension in filing their statement of contributions and expenditures (SOCE) for the May 2016 polls.

In a letter to Comelec Commissioner Christian Robert Lim, head of its campaign finance office which receives and evaluates SOCEs, UNA secretary general JV Bautista said LP and its presidential candidate Mar Roxas “must be sanctioned for their deliberate failure to account for all contributions and expenses they incurred in connection with the May 2016 Elections.”

The Liberal Party filed its SOCE on Tuesday, six days after the June 8 deadline. The documents, however, did not include the SOCE of Roxas.

The Comelec en banc has yet to rule if it would accept SOCEs filed after the deadline.

If the rejection appeal is met with approval, all national LP winners, including Robredo will be in limbo. (PDI-fed)

* * * *

It could take another historic effort from Kyrie Irving and LeBron James to keep Cleveland in the NBA Finals. And it seems like the warriors are in dire trouble stll. Having lost Draymond Green when they were dealt  their second defeat, Golden State faces the possible loss of center Andrew Bogut, as it awaits the final results of an MRI exam on Bogut, the Australian who suffered a left knee injury early in the third quarter Monday, to know his status for the remainder of the series.

Bogut blocked six shots in game two, the most in a finals game since Paul Gasol in 2010, and averages 3.2 points and 3.0 rebounds in the finals.

However, that setback may be compensated with the return of forward Green from a one-game suspension for accumulated flagrant fouls. But still the warriors will require deeper digging into their bench for help.

“Our bigs are just going to have to step up. Been doing it all year,” said Warriors guard Klay Thompson. “We’re still in a great position. We’ll come back stronger.” he added.

* * * *

Still with more newsworthy bits untouched,, this is as far as we can go. God bless.