Celso puts 30 workers to main sanitation at evacuation center PDF Print E-mail
Monday, 27 June 2016 11:51

Expressing his concern on the living and health conditions of the fire victims in Sta. Catalina, Congressman Celso Lobregat initiated a move to detail about 30 individuals under the cash-for-work program of the Department of Labor and Emplyoment (DOLE) and his office, who will the barangay personnel and social workers in maintaining the sanitation in the temporary evacuation center at Don GEMS Elementary School.

Lobregat was responding to the situation  after seeing the difficult situation and the emerging problem on health and sanitation at the evacuation site where a large number of families affected by the fire last week are sheltered.

The solon cautions that due to congestion and unsuitable environment, sanitation will greatly affect the heath condition of the fire victims, especially the children, senior citizens and pregnant mothers who are mixed up with other evacuees.

Noted that more than 4,000 individuals are staying at the multipurpose hall of the school and the state of health of each person is at risk because of the unhygienic condition of their living quarters.

Lobregat said that the place is so congested that if not corrected immediately, would lead to various communicable  diseases and it is for this reason that he talked immediately with Barangay Chairman Jimmy Villaflores, DSWD and the Health Workers detailed in the area to initiate extensive sanitation plans in cooperation with his office.

Chairman Villaflores told Lobregat during their meeting Saturday afternoon that they lack personnel to look into the garbage disposal, maintaining cleanliness in Don GEMS covered court and its premises.

“It’s been four days since they are here, and we have seen their unhealthy conditions. If we will not maintain cleanliness in the area, we are very much worried of their health conditions in the coming days which is not supposed to be,” Lobregat said.

The solon asked Villaflores to immediately give him a list of some 30 male evacuees who are willing to work for their own welfare within the evacuation area. They will be tasked to perform the job to be given them by the barangay officials, particularly in maintaining the cleanliness in the area. The grantees will be having two shifts in the morning and in the evening with fifteen workers per shift. They will be paid the minimum wage of P280.00 per day for the period of 15 days.

“I am here to help, even though it is not in my district. In times like this where it concerns general welfare and large number of victims, we must not put borders on it, we must be helping each other as Zamboangueños,” Lobregat said. – Dexter  Yap