1 soldier killed, 5 hurt in Abu IED booby trap PDF Print E-mail
Wednesday, 13 July 2016 11:48

A Philippine army scout ranger was killed while five others were wounded Tuesday morning in a bomb booby trap set up by beleaguered Abu Sayyaf militants in the ongoing military offensive in Basilan island, a military spokesman said.

Maj. Filemon Tan,  spokesman of the Western Mindanao Command, said in a statement that soldiers of the army’s 8th Scout Ranger Company were closing in on a militants position when a booby trap bomb went off at 6:20 a.m.

Tan said a scout ranger was killed on the spot while five of his companions were wounded and airlifted to Zamboanga City for medical treatment at the Camp Navarro General Hospital, Headquarters of Western Mindanao Command.

The ranger is the second fatality suffered by government troops in two battles launched in Basilan and Jolo islands since last week against the IS-affiliated group responsible for the beheading of two Canadians recently. Eleven other soldiers were earlier reported wounded.

On Monday, the military claimed to have killed 40 Abu Sayyaf fighters and wounded 25 others in the two battlefronts.

“The troops continue to assault enemy positions and neutralize ASG (Abu Sayyaf Group) elements,” Tan said.

In the Sulu (Jolo island) offensive, which started July 7, 22 were killed and 16 wounded, while in Basilan island, 18 killed and nine wounded, the Western Mindanao Command said.

Armed Forces of the Philippines (AFP) chief-of-staff Gen. Ricardo Visaya was quoted as saying he is satisfied by the performance of government troops in the ongoing offensive against the Abu Sayyaf.

“I think he (Visaya)  is, the troops are really doing their best, the proof of the pudding is the (series of) engagements that have happened in the past few days,” AFP Spokesperson Brig. Gen. Restituto Padilla told the state-run Philippines News Agency (PNA).