6 wounded Sayyafs escape out of Basilan PDF Print E-mail
Tuesday, 19 July 2016 13:44

A military intelligence officer said Monday that six Abu Sayyaf militants wounded in the week-long Basilan offensive escaped to nearby Sulu province.

The officer who gave the information on condition of anonymity as he is not authoriized to talk to the media said that Furuji Indama,  one of the two top Abu Sayyaf leaders in Basilan, and his two trusted lieutenants, escorted the six wounded fighters to Siasi, Sulu from Tipo-Tipo, Basilan late last week.

The officer added that the wounded militants slipped out of Basilan through a seacraft locally called “junkung” belonging to the Abu Sayyaf faction based in Sulu.

He identified those who escaped as Abu Haysam, Abu Maid, Abu Hattam, Abu Gaber, Abu Muadz and Abu Abugan. They sustained shrapnel wounds from airstrikes launched by Philippine Air Force’s MG520 attack helicopters.

Moreover, the officer said after escorting the wounded militants, Indama and his two trusted men returned to Al Barka, Basilan and joined the group of Isnilon Hapilon prepared to continue fighting against government troops.

He claimed the groups of Hapilon and Indama have joined armed groups from the Moro Islamic Liberation Front (MILF) and the Moro National; Liberation Front (MNLF) and other armed civilian sympathizers in the village of Guinanta, Al Barka town, Basilan.

Guinanta is known as a stronghold of the MILF and other armed groups where 23 marines were killed and 11 of them were beheaded in July 2007. – Dan Toribio