CHO renews fight against dengue PDF Print E-mail
Monday, 25 July 2016 13:47

By SHEILA COVARRUBIAS

The City Health Office has called for renewed vigilance against dengue hemorrhagic fever, a mosquito-borne disease, as cases continue to increase despite the intensified drive.

City Health officer Rodel Agbulos in  his updated report of dengue fever cases said the disease has claimed 9 lives and has affected 1,147 people from January 1 to July 18, 2016. For the same period in 2015, the CHO recorded 1,337 dengue cases.

For January this year there were 289 cases as compared to the 2015 record of 218; February 189 as compared to last year’s 180 cases; March 214 as against the 126 cases last year; April 97 cases as against 60 cases in 2015; May has 127 cases as compared to 2015 record of 107; June has 162 as against 242 in 2015 and July 69 cases as compared to 2015 record of 404.

Top 10 barangays with most number of dengue fever cases are Tetuan with 66; Calarian with 65, Baliwasan with 39; Talon-talon- 50; Sta. Maria – 47; Pasonanca – 44; San Roque – 42; Putik and Tugbungan both with 49 cases and Sinunuc- 32 cases.

Agbulos said residents should continue vigilance and the anti-dengue measures to include cleanliness and sanitation and to follow the 4S against dengue which means search and destroy mosquito breeding places, use self-protection measures, seek early consultation for fevers lasting more than 2 days and say yes to fogging when there is an impending outbreak.

The CHO has strengthened its advocacy against dengue in communities through the barangay health workers and sanitary inspectors.

Agbulos said it is very important to instil cleanliness in surroundings as this will not only benefit the family but the entire community. — Sheila Covarrubias