City waits for Duterte’s order on MNLF safe-conduct pass PDF Print E-mail
Tuesday, 02 August 2016 15:06

The City Government will wait for the official order of the national government related to the pronouncement of President Rodrigo Duterte that he would give safe conduct pass to Moro National Liberation Front leader Nur Misuari before issuing any statement regarding the matter.

Misuari, who is named as the brains behind the 2013 Zamboanga siege, is facing arrest.

Mayor Beng Climaco said the City’s legal team will peruse whatever order will be issued regarding the supposed safe-conduct pass but stressed that “we are also with the people in our struggle and our aspirations for justice following the siege.”

At this time it is best to await the formal and written notice without prejudice to our appeal for justice for the victims of the siege, the mayor pointed out.

President Duterte last week was quoted to have said that he would give safe conduct passes to Misuari including exiled communist leader Jose Ma. Sison, as formal talks with the rebel groups are set to start by the end of the year. In a report published in the Manila Standard dated July 27, 2016 entitled “Safe conduct pass for Joma, Misuari”, the president said he has initiated talks within the Cabinet about the issue and that he has to start with releasing the leaders “not on anything but safe conduct passes for Sison and Misuari.”

Climaco said she had the chance of talking with President Duterte during his brief stopover in Zamboanga last July 21 and the issue about Misuari was also brought up. She said she conveyed to the Chief Executive about the feelings of the thousands displaced and affected by the 3-week siege in the city.

“As president, he is balancing between his role as father of the country and individual concerns of the city residents,” the mayor added. — Sheila Covarrubias