Drug war nets 5,862 surrenderers, 8 deaths PDF Print E-mail
Wednesday, 03 August 2016 11:54

By VIC LARATO

Sr. Supt. Luisito Magnaye, officer-in-charge of the Zamboanga City Police Office, reported Monday that 206 pushers and 5,656 users for a total of 5,862 have voluntarily gave themselves up to the authorities since the intensified war against illegal drugs started July 1.

Of the number, however, Magnaye said only four had actually turned over drug items.

The number of pushers and users, who surrendered from July 1 to 31, represents .64% of the city’s total population of 903,625, according to the OIC-city police director.

He said the police had also conducted 70 law enforcement operations against illegal drugs, which resulted in the arrest of 113 suspects and filing of 66 cases in court.

At least eight drug suspects were killed for resisting arrest and shot it out with the police operatives.

The police had also carried out 4,086 operations under “Oplan Tokhang” where they conducted house-to-house campaign on suspected drug personalities.

Early on, Supt. Magnaye reported during last week’s City Peace and Order (CPOC) meeting that Zamboanga’s crime rate has dramatically dropped following the intensified war against illegal drugs.

“Bumaba po yung crime incidents natin like shooting mula nung inilunsad natin ang malawakang gyera kontra droga,” Magnaye told the CPOC members.

He said most if not all crime incidents in the city were drug related, and when the Philippine National Police (PNP) launched the massive anti-drug war under Pres. Duterte’s administration, “talagang bumaba po ang ating crime rate.”

“There were even days na halos zero crime incident tayo like during President Duterte’s stopover visit to the city last July 21 and first SONA last July 25, respectively, breaking the record of Pacman’s boxing events,” the city police director said.— Vic Larato