OWWA says Region 9 has hundreds of OFWs stranded in Saudi Arabia PDF Print E-mail
Thursday, 11 August 2016 12:10


The Overseas Workers Welfare Administration-9 (OWWA-9) has revealed that there are hundreds of Overseas Filipino Workers (OFW) from Region 9 who are now stranded in Saudi Arabia.

Khalil Isser S. Lorena, OWWA 9 family welfare officer, said that these OFWs include office workers, drivers, while some are also working for oil firms in Saudi Arabia.

He advised the stranded OFWs to register with the embassy or head office so they can be assisted. The families of the workers must also visit OWWA so they can be assisted.

Meanwhile, for Zamboanga City, five OFWs were repatriated and 12 families are being assisted by OWWA.

In Pagadian City, Lorena said there are also two families of affected OFWs they will be assisting.

OWWA has a crisis intervention program called Relief Assistance Program (RAP) which consists of financial assistance provided to affected OFWs employed by Saudi construction and maintenance companies beset by severe financial difficulties, to help the OFWs and their families cope with economic and social adjustments.

The amount of P20,000 or SR1,590.00 will be given to affected OFWs at the jobsite while P20,000 for workers repatriated to the Philippines. A total of P6,000 will also be given to each family of affected OFWs.

Workers covered by the RAP are those staying in camps or live out in Saudi Arabia who have been repatriated to the Philippines but have not received their salaries or end of service benefits from any of the following companies: Saudi bin Laden Group of Companies, Saudi Oger, Mohammed al-Mojil Group, Mohammad Hameed Al-Bargash and Bros. Trading and Construction, ALUMCO L. L. C., Rajeh H. Al Merri Contracting and Trading Company, Fawzi Salah – Al Nairani Contracting Company, Arabtec Construction L.L.C. and Real Estate Development and Investment Company.

For affected OFWs at jobsite they need to accomplish a form, proof of identity such as passport, payslip, and employment contract. For repatriated workers they need to fill up form, passport, proof of unpaid benefits and salaries, and for families of affected OFWs at jobsite they need to fill up forms, proof of relationship to OFW, birth certificate of OFW, marriage certificate, and valid government issued identification card. — R.G. A A. Go