Another Indonesian captive escapes PDF Print E-mail
Friday, 19 August 2016 11:43

By DAN TORIBIO

Troops have found another Indonesian kidnap victim, who escaped his Abu Sayyaf captors with a previously discovered shipmate as they threatened to behead the two men.

Western Mindanao Command spokesperson Maj. Filemon Tan Jr., said Thursday the captain of a tugboat seized by the ISIS-affiliated militant group in June was found walking along a road Wednesday in Sulu.

Tan said the second Indonesian gva his identity as “Ismail”.

Hesaid that military troops were scouring the area looking for other hostages following the discovery of fellow Indonesian Mohammad Safyan caught in fishing nets on the Sulu shoreline, when they found “Ismail” who identified himself as a kidnap victim.

“The subject, along with Mohammad Safyan, escaped yesterday [Wednesday] from the hands of the ASG [Abu Sayyaf]. They separated ways after the ASG chased them. Safyan was earlier rescued by local residents along the shoreline of Barangay Bual in Luuk, Sulu,” Tan added.

Ismail’s wife, Dian Megawati  told Turkey based Anadolu Agency she had been delighted to hear late Wednesday that her husband had been freed, but said that some hostages remained.

Ismail was brought to the military headquarters for debriefing and medical check-up.

Safyan and Ismail  were two of seven men kidnapped in late June when the Abu Sayyaf ambushed a tugboat — the TB Charles — carrying 13 Indonesians in the Sulu Sea. While six of the crew were released, seven others were taken, their abductors then demanding a ransom.

The men — kidnapped mid June — were due to be executed by the Abu Sayyaf Aug. 15 after the deadline for $5.4 million passed.

Meanwhile, the Abu Sayyaf threatened to behead barangay worker Patric James Almodovar, who was seized by the group on July 24,. His family was given until August 24 to come up with P1 million ransom or else he will be executed.

Almodovar recently appealed to the government of Sulu to help save his life. – Dan Toribio