Abu not behind Davao blast, says spokesman PDF Print E-mail
Sunday, 04 September 2016 14:38

The ISIS-linked  Abu Sayyaf on Saturday disowned the bomb attack Friday night  in Davao City where 14 people have been killed and 67 others injured.

Muammar Askali alias Abu Ramie, self-styled spokesperson of the Abu Sayyaf pointed to an ally as behind the deadly explosion at a crowded night market along Roxas St.

Askali told the Philippine Daily Inquirer in a phone call  that the bomb attack was carried  by the Daulat Ul Islamiya, an ally of the Abu Sayyaf.

“They are doing this to sympathize (with) our group and we are sending a message to President Rodrigo Duterte that all the Daulat throughout the country is not afraid of him,” Inquirer quoted Askali as saying.

He said the bomb attack was only the start of similar attacks in response to the military ongoing combat strikes at Abu Sayyaf strongholds in Sulu.

“We can hardly call people, but we can still inflict damage to the soldiers,” Askali said, describing how tight their situation in Sulu was.

About 9,000 troops are currently in Sulu closing in on the group list by the United States as a terrorist organization. Since August 26, 15 soldiers had died and 30 militants had been killed.

Askali said the bomb attacks would only stop “if Duterte will make our hadith his laws and he will seek conversion to Islam.”

The hadith is described as a collection of traditions containing sayings of the Prophet Muhammad, with accounts of his daily practice. Sunni Muslims use this to emulate the Prophet’s practice.

But Chief Supt. Manuel Gaerlan, Southern Mindanao police director, who now supervises the investigation of the blast, said what they were looking into now is the possible participation of “disgruntled vendors” in the city but they were also considering other possible groups as suspects.

“There were some disgruntled vendors in the awarding of stalls at the night market. This is one of the motives that we are looking into,” he said.