14 battalions deployed to Sulu PDF Print E-mail
Tuesday, 28 February 2017 13:51

by LIZA JOCSON

A total of 14 battalions are now in Sulu province to crush the Abu Sayyaf and rescue the remaining kidnap victims in the island province, according to the Western Mindanao Command.

Western Mindanao Command Public Information Officer Capt Joann Petinglay said that operations are continuing to rescue the kidnap victims, including German captive Jurgen Kantner.

As of presstime there has been no confirmation if Kantner had been decapitated last Sunday, the deadline given by the Abu Sayyaf for the payment of ransom.

The military is working within the timeline of six months given by President Rodrigo Duterte to totally crush the Abu Sayyaf in the province.

Petinglay said that operations have been proceeding as scheduled based on reported accomplishments on the ground.

During the past month, Petinglay said that troops have occupied several encampments of the Abu Sayyaf.

There have also been several arrests made over recent months, the recent of which is Lucky -9 Leader Ninok Sappari and his cohort who were neutralized in Tawi Tawi province.

A total of 20 foreign and 7 Filipino kidnap victims are still in the hands of the Abu Sayyaf.  (Liza Jocson)