Erica Jean murder suspect released PDF Print E-mail
Thursday, 02 March 2017 11:36

by dan toribio  jr.

The suspect in the much talked about murder of 18-year old Erica Jean Rosal was freed after the complaint filed by police was set aside for insufficiency of evidence.

Divisoria Police Station Commander Chief Inspector Arlan Delumpines said that the murder case was dismissed by Prosecutor Atty Arnel Maravilla for insufficiency of evidence and lack of probable cause.

Documents attached to the complaint included a sworn statement of the tricycle driver stating that the victim boarded his tricycle with three men, one of who was identified as Yosores.

Police however failed to submit the results of a DNA test which have yet to be released in Manila.

Delumpines said that the case can still be re-filed should they get hold of evidence that could strengthen the case against the suspect.

The police official said that Yosores immediately went home after the announcement of his release.

Family members and relatives expressed elation on the news, which came a day before the town fiesta.

Rosal’s lifeless body was found at the nearby Lunzuran Superhighway last January 6.

She was hogtied and believed to have been raped.

A week later, Yosores was arrested by police following the testimony of a tricycle driver who identified Yosores as one of three men who was with Erica when the group boarded his tricycle for Luyahan, Pasonanca.

Yosores vehemently denied the accusation, saying that he was working during the time of the murder.

Yosores testimony was reportedly supported by his employer and other co-workers.

Yosores was taken to the Prosecutor’s office for an inquest proceeding and was advised by his lawyers to avail of a 15-day waiver which had been extended for two times prior to the resolution announcing his release.  (Dan Toribio)