Misuari to get most likely another 6-month freedom Print
Wednesday, 10 May 2017 17:04

By VIC LARATO

 

Moro National Liberation Front leader Nur Misuari will most like get another six-month extension of the suspension of the implementation of the arrest warrant against him and the proceedings of his cases in connection with the 2013 Zamboanga siege.

City Legal Officer Jesus Carbon Jr. said Misuari’s six-month extension earlier granted by the Pasig court judge had already lapsed last April 27.

He said the MNLF leader had asked the court for another six months extension, a petition which the judge scheduled for hearing last May 3.

“We are not able to attend the hearing as we were not able to consult the city mayor and the City Council on what should our stand be with respect to the extension. But we expect the judge to rule (in favor) on the extension to another six months,” Atty. Carbon told Monday’s press briefing.

It must be recalled that sometime in November 2016 Misuari filed a motion with the Regional Trial Court Branch 158 in Pasig that sought for the suspension of proceedings and enforcement of warrants of arrest against him to allow him to attend peace talk sessions with the government.

Judge Maria Rowena Modesto-San Pedro granted Misuari’s motion—to  suspend the proceedings and arrest warrants against him—only for purposes of attending peace talks with government, and in the event the peace talks are to be held outside the Philippines, prior authorization must be sought from the Court by Misuari, the Department of Justice (DOJ) and OPAPP.

The court further said the DOJ and OPAPP must ensure that Misuari must report to the Philippine Embassy or Consulate in the country where the talks are being held.

At one point, Misuari tried but failed to get the court’s permission to travel to Saudi Arabia because the trip had nothing to do with nor related to the government’s peace process.-(Vic Larato)