Celso: City govt should come into terms for bypass lighting PDF Print E-mail
Friday, 09 June 2017 16:20

House of Representatives Committee Chairman on Public Works and Highways and Congressman Celso Lobregat said that the local government of Zamboanga should come into terms with the Department of Public Works and Highways (DPWH) with regards to the streetlighting project at the Zamboanga City By-Pass road.

This was the reaction of the solon when asked about the issue on the clamor of the public urging DPWH to implement the streetlighting project in the newest diversion road of the city which is now being utilized as an alternate route by motorists plying east to west coast destination and vice-versa.

In a phone interview with a local radio station, Congressman Lobregat said that the streetlighting project is in the pipeline of the DPWH to supplement the structures needed in the by-pass road, however, this project cannot be realized and would become useless if the city government will not also do its role as counterpart and end user of this national government initiated project.

He said that the DPWH will not entertain to pursue the streetlighting project in the 38-kilometer by-pass road project if there is no agreement with the local government with regards to the payment of electricity bill for such project.

“If you put streetlight there and nobody pays for the electric bill, it’s useless. The LGU should have to signify that it is willing to enter into a Memorandum of Agreement with DPWH that they will be in charge of payment for electricity, if there is none, it’s hard to pursue the project,” Lobregat said.

Congressman Lobregat said that in the provisions of Republic Act 8794 known as an act imposing a Motor Vehicle User’s Charge (MVUC) on owners of all types of motor vehicles and for other purposes; Section 7 states that all monies collected under this Act shall be earmarked solely and used exclusively (1) for road maintenance and the improved of the road drainage, (2) for the installation of adequate and efficient traffic lights and road safety devices, and (3) for the air pollution control.

All such monies collected shall be deposited in four (4) special trust accounts in the National Treasury, namely: (1) Special Road Support Fund; (2) Special Local Road Fund; (3) Special Road Safety Fund; and (4) Special Vehicle Pollution Control Fund. The distribution of collections under this Act shall be as follows:

1. Eighty percent (80%) shall be allotted to and placed in the Special Road Support Fund;

2. Five percent (5%) shall be allotted to and placed in the Special Local Road Fund;

3. Seven and one-half percent (7.5%) shall be allotted to and placed in the Special Vehicle Pollution Control Fund.

The Special Road Support Fund, the Special Local Road Fund shall be under the DPWH, whereas the Special Vehicle Pollution Control Fund shall be under the DOTC.

Seventy percent (70%) of the Special Road Support Fund shall be used for the maintenance of, and the improvement of drainage of national primary roads. The remaining thirty- percent (30%) thereof shall be allocated and use for the maintenance, and improved of drainage of national secondary roads throughout the country.

The cost of installation of adequate and efficient traffic lights and road safety devices throughout the country, where such traffic lights and safety devices are needed, shall be taken from the Special Road safety devices. – Dexter Yap