Fiber cut interrupts mobile service in Zambo PDF Print E-mail
Tuesday, 13 June 2017 12:03

City Hall Monday clarified that the disruption in mobile services experienced by subscribers was not due to signal shutdown put in place during the Independence Day celebration but due to a fiber cut along the Iligan-Tubod area.

This, as netizens vented their ire on the local government for the inconvenience they experienced saying the public should have been informed about the supposed shutdown.

Mayor Beng Climaco said neither the City Government nor the security sector has requested for a signal shutdown otherwise proper announcements would have been made prior to the Independence Day activities that lasted from 7am-8:30am Monday.

The disruption in mobile services started around 7:30am and lasted until 2:30pm.

The City Government was not officially informed about the fiber cut though efforts had been made to reach the telecommunication company concerned.

Nonetheless, a check in the internet led to the site http://www.yugatech.com/news/fiber-cut-disrupts-globe-services-in-select-areas-in-mindanao/#TEB8ZSgLOViMAebi.97 where the cause of the interruption is detailed.

The article read: “An advisory from the Globe Telecommunications Company said customers in Basilan, Camiguin, Zamboanga, Misamis Occidental and Oriental, Lanao, Tawi-tawi and Sulu may be experiencing a disruption of mobile services due to a fiber cut that happened as a result of DPWH operations working on a drainage project in Iligan.”

Globe identified Lanao Builders as the DPWH contractor that caused the service disruption. The telco is now working on restoring its services in the affected areas, according to the article on the said site. (Sheila Covarrubias/PR)