4P's beneficiaries receive cash grants Print
Sunday, 30 July 2017 15:49

Around 1,695 families of Ramain Municipality received cash incentives from the government today thru the “PantawidPamilyang Pilipino Program (4Ps)”, a human development measure of the national government that provides conditional cash grants to the poorest of the poor, to improve the health, nutrition, and the education of children aged 0-18.

The program’s implementation is under the direct supervision of the Department of the Social Welfare and Development, which aims to eradicate extreme poverty in the country by investing in health and education.

The pay out which started earlier this year was halted after Daesh-inspired group Maute attacked Marawi City on the 23rd of May leaving most residents of the different municipalities near the besieged city evacuating to safety in different evacuation centers.

After more than two months suspension of operations, the DSWD deemed it necessary to continue the pay out, and Ramain is among the first target municipalities for the continuation of the activity.

Judy Taguiwalo, the DSWD secretary, remarked during a meeting in Iligan City earlier this month that “It is our intent for the pay-out to proceed within respective municipalities to encourage residents of towns outside Marawi to go back to their homes.”

Yesterday alone, a total of more than 19million pesos was paid to the beneficiaries of the 4Ps program in the town.

DSWD employees were ferried from Marawi to a nearby dock near Ramain by military and police boats in order to cut short travel time.

Ramain which used to be the closest municipality from Marawi City became the farthest to reach after the military temporarily closed the shorter route that connects the city and the municipality.

Residents need to take the farthest way, by taking the highway along lakeLanao before reaching the town.

“Last Wednesday (July 26), the Lanaodel Sur Province DSWD also distributed relief goods to the Marawi evacuees staying in Ramain,” said Colonel Fonio, the Commander of the Joint Task Group Haribon.

The relief distribution benefitted around 2,700 families.

“We provided the boats and security requirements of the DSWD team so that they can proceed with the pay-out despite the risk and danger involved,”’said Lieutenant General Carlito G Galvez, Jr, Commander of the Western Mindanao Command.

“It is one of our top priorities to support other government agencies in order to make sure that goods intended for the people will be delivered to the people.” (PR)