Classes resume in Marawi public schools PDF Print E-mail
Friday, 08 September 2017 11:45

By  Bong Garcia, Jr.

Classes have resumed in 12 public elementary schools in Marawi City amid continued armed clashes between government troops and Islamic State for Iraq and Syria (ISIS)-inspired Maute Group, a top military official said Wednesday.

Brig. Gen. Rolando Joselito Bautista, Joint Task Force Marawi commander, said the classes resumed on Tuesday as the fighting had been confined in the main battle area in the besieged city of Marawi.

The schools that resumed classes are the following: Sultan Conding Elementary School; Sikap Elementary School; Cabingan Primary School; Banga Elementary School; Datu Tambak Elementary School; Rorogagus Elementary School; Bito Elementary School; Pendolonan Elementary School; Abdulazis Elementary School; Camp Bagong Amai Pakpak Central Elementary School; Sugod Elementary School; and, Mipaga Elementary School.

“We are nearing the end of the battle with the gunfight confined to the main battle area in the besieged city. Security measures are being tightened to preempt any attempts by the terrorists to hamper classes,” Bautista added.

He said the different Joint Task Groups under Joint Task Force Marawi had series of conferences, discussing security preparations and arrangements to ensure that faculty members and students will feel safe when they come to their campuses.

“This is one of the steps taken by the security forces and the local government units to bring normalcy in the city. We are taking a gradual phase because we want to ensure that we are doing the right thing and that we are putting to primacy the welfare of the Maranaos,” he said.

“We are optimistic that as long as everyone is taking the same path, we will surely win this war against terrorism,” Lt. Gen. Carlito Galvez Jr., Western Mindanao Command (Westmincom) chief said.

“I have always said that ‘education is the antidote for peace,’ and with that, your Armed Forces will make sure that we will continue to work for the rehabilitation of the other schools, colleges and universities within the city that were affected by this crisis. We will be with the people in taking the road to normalcy,” Galvez added.

The 12 elementary schools comprised the second batch of learning institutions that resumed classes although fighting continues.

On August 22, a total of 600 students were transported from Iligan City to the Marawi City campus of the Mindanao State University (MSU) as classes resumed on that day.

Over 9,000 students joined the MSU 56th founding anniversary celebration on Friday, September 1, with Galvez as the guest speaker.

The anniversary celebration was anchored on the theme: “MSU @ 56: A Thousand Minds Illuminating the Path to Recovery, Peace, and Development for Marawi City.”

Following the opening of the schools, other government offices will also soon start cleaning their respective offices for the possible resumption of their operations. (TPGJR/PNA)