Leonen sets Zambo consultation in Sept. PDF Print E-mail
Saturday, 27 August 2011 17:18

Mayor Celso Lobregat announced yesterday the government panel negotiating peace with the Moro Islamic Liberation Front (MILF) will be coming to Zamboanga City next month for renewed consultation on any peace deal with the separatist rebel group.

“I communicated with Chairman (Marvic) Leonen and he told me he will be coming to Zamboanga in September for consultation,” Lobregat told reporters, adding that Chairman Leonen was in Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia last Wednesday for a meeting with MILF peace negotiators.

He said Chairman Leonen had reiterated and assured him that whatever proposal presented by the government to the MILF in Malaysia “was within the realm of the constitution, no dismemberment of the republic and the sentiments of the people of Zamboanga were taken into account.”

Lobregat said the MILF had already presented its proposal and the government had also presented its counter-proposal. “If the MILF will agree to the government’s counter-proposal, then the next thing they will do is signing.”

In the meantime, Lobregat said, “we will have to contend with the issues at hand and we will be ready to engage the peace panel. We don’t have to prepare for it because we have already made known our position.”

It will be recalled, Lobregat urged the residents of Zamboanga City to remain vigilant or watchful of the developments in the renewed peace negotiations between the government peace panel and the MILF last August 22 in Malaysia.

The chief executive issued the call even as GPNP chairman Leonen had assured that the government remains true to its commitment to respect the sentiments and views of the Zamboanguenos and the people of other parts of Mindanao.

“I don’t want to be an alarmist, but we have to be vigilant,” the mayor was quoted as saying last week when renewed talks between the government and MILF were slated in Malaysia. — Vic Larato