Trial on 2013 attack to start 3rd quarter PDF Print E-mail
Monday, 23 July 2018 14:04

Hearings for the case filed by the City Government against members of the Moro National Liberation Front (MNLF)-Nur Misuari faction relative to the 2013 attack in Zamboanga is set to start either in August or September.

This was bared by Mayor Beng Climaco following a meeting with the Department of Justice (DOJ) panel of prosecutors handling prosecution of the case during the latter’s visit to the city last week.

Climaco, in a message during the Consultation Workshop on IDP Concerns sponsored by humanitarian partners at a local hotel Friday, said she will be the first witness to testify at the Pasig City Regional Trial Court being the lone signatory in the case.

“As mayor, we will fight for justice. We cannot just be attacked and suffer and then forget everything. For as long as there is the law, the struggle of the MNLF siege victims will not end without given them the justice they deserve,” the mayor declared.

The panel of prosecutors from Manila came to the city last week and met with the members of the City Council and the mayor separately, to lay down plans on how to prosecute the MNLF cases pending at Branch 158 in Pasig City.

City Legal Officer Jesus Carbon said the City Government is under the supervision and control of panel of prosecutors from the DOJ, as the panel is the one responsible for building up the case against MNLF Chairman Nur Misuari and Habier Malik, who allegedly led the Zamboanga attack last September 9, 2013 and over a hundred others who are still detained at the Taguig City Jail.

The City Government, according to Carbon, bats for the trial of cases as well as presentation of evidences as a whole and not by batches.  (Sheila Covarrubias/PR)