PCG terminates search for missing fishermen Print
Wednesday, 22 August 2018 14:06

by BHONG SIMBAJON

The Philippine Coast Guard (PCG) has terminated its search for eight missing passengers of a boat that capsized near the Malaysian border on July 30.

Coast Guard Zamboanga Station Chief Lieutenant Commander Noriel Ramos said that PCG District South Western Mindanao Commander Captain Joseph M. Coyme has directed its seaborne personnel to Mindanao to pull back and dismiss the search and rescue mission.

Ramos said that despite the said action, a maritime casualty investigation team was formed to look into the cause of the incident since authorities learned that the capsized motorboat was “unregistered” and was used “to cross the border without authority.”

“Coast Guard Action Center has issued Notice to Mariners for all vessels transiting in the area to be on the lookout for possible survivors and also cooperated with PCG’s counterpart in Malaysia for possible retrieval operations but to no avail,” Ramos said.

The incident happened near the border of Malaysia on July 30. Seven bodies have been recovered by responding PCG personnel and local fishermen in Tawi-tawi since then. The decomposing bodies were buried immediately as part of the Muslim tradition. One lone survivor was rescued.

At present, PCG District South Western Mindanao keeps on reminding the local vessel operators to take  precautionary measures when crossing the borders especially during bad weather to avoid unnecessary sea tragedy. (Bhong Simbajon/RMN News)