(After fall of local officials)Another dilapidated bridge threatens safety of siege housing dwellers PDF Print E-mail
Friday, 16 November 2018 14:21

By Remus Ong

Victims of the 2013 Zamboanga siege at the Buggoc Transitory Site are complaining about another dilapidated foot bridge which endangers the lives of residents and passers-by in the area.

The Buggoc bridge is the second reported to have been dilapidated after a footbridge in Rio Hondo which collapsed during an onsite investigation by the House Committee on Housing and Urban Development last April.

A certain Mrs. Indah (not her real name) expressed apprehension over the dilapidated state of the Buggoc bridge regularly used by children in going to school.

Another resident, Manong Eddie, confirmed that some residents had already fallen from the bridge.

Residents in the area do not know where to complain since some of them are registered in Barangay Kasanyangan while others, in Barangay Rio Hondo.

Hji. Jirul Malik, Rio Hondo Barangay Chairman, said that the rehabilitation of the bridge still remains with the National Housing Authority (NHA).

Malik said that the barangay does not have the funds to repair the bridge because they have not yet received their allocation from the local government.

Furthermore, Malik said that they might be violating government rules by repairing facilities under the NHA.

Last April, Zamboanga Mayor Beng Climaco- Salazar and Congressman Celso Lobregat together with other top government officials fell into murky waters after a stilt catwalk they were walking on collapsed during a Congressional site inspection on housing projects for victims of the 2013 Zamboanga siege.  (Remus Ong)