JI trained bombers sent to stage attacks in Mindanao PDF Print E-mail
Sunday, 18 September 2011 17:06

Police said yesterday that at least 20 militants were dispatched by al-Qaida to stage a series of bomb attacks in Mindanao.
}
Chief Supt. Felicisimo Khu, head of Integrated Police Operations in Western Mindanao, said their intelligence officers intercepted reports that the twenty newly trained bombers had been dispatched and scattered in the region.

He said the bombers were trained by Jemaah Islamiyah bomb expert Basit Usman, a member of the Moro Islamic Liberation Front Special Operation Group, but the rebel group disowned him.

“They will use liquefied petroleum gas since several of their mortars have been recovered and seized by government troops,” Khu said.

“We alerted our men manning check points in the region to strictly check those vehicles with LPGs,” he added.

The entire Mindanao region has been placed in high level of alert due to security threats.

Earlier, Khu said they have uncovered a plan of Islamic militants to blow up Roman Catholic churches.

In 2009, six people were killed and dozens wounded when a bomb went off outside Immaculate Conception Cathedral church.

Al-Qaida is a global Sunni Islamist militant group founded by Osama bin Laden sometime between August 1988 and late 1989. It has been designated a terrorist organization by the United States, the United Nations Security Council and some other organizations.