Navy intercepts boat with P10M smuggled goods PDF Print E-mail
Tuesday, 20 September 2011 16:52

The Philippine Navy intercepted in Sulu Thursday last week two motor launch vessels carrying onboard smuggled goods from Sandakan, Malaysia with an estimated market value of P10 millionon.

The Navy vessels sighted the two boats while anchored 1,600 yards northeast and 1,200 yards north off Cabucan island, Sulu.  In doubt, the Navy vessels conducted Visit, Board, Search and Seizure (VBSS) as part of their maritime security operations, anti-smuggling and intensified security patrol in the area.

Inspection revealed that the vessels were loaded with volumes of imported sacks of rice, sugar and assorted food stuffs illegally imported from Malaysia without pertinent documents and owned by Haji Hamsi Puntukan and Hja Christina L Lao.

Based on the initial assessment, the presence of Navy vessels at the vicinity of Jolo Pier, might have triggered them to anchor in the said area and waited for an opportunity to unload the items onboard.

The vessels were escorted to Chinese Pier, Jolo, Sulu and subsequently turned over together with the suspected smuggled items to the Bureau of Customs for proper disposition and filing of appropriate charges.

Rear Admiral Guzman said, “the apprehension of the vessels is a manifestation of our support to our government’s battle against smuggling in the country particularly in the whole Western Mindanao Area of responsibility.”

Guzman added: “The Naval Forces Western Mindanao will continue to intensify our Naval Patrols in the area to curb the use of sea lane in Western Mindanao by maritime lawless elements.”