PAF Huey chopper crashes: 3 killed PDF Print E-mail
Sunday, 02 October 2011 17:11

A Philippine Air Force (PAF) UH-1H “Huey” helicopter crashed at 8:20 yesterday morning while attempting an emergency landing on a military camp on Mount Sinumaan in Sulu, killing the pilot and two crewmen,PAF spokesman Col. Mike Okol said.
However, the co-pilot survived.

Okol said the names of the fatalities and the lone survivor were temporarily withheld pending the notification of their next of kin.
Two UH-1H helicopters were undertaking resupply mission when one of the choppers “lost engine power prior to landing” in a remote village in Jolo island, a military official disclosed Saturday.

Lt. Col. Randolph Cabangbang, Western Mindanao Mindanao (Wesmincom) information officer, said the air accident took place around 8:20 a.m. around the vicinity of Camp Balabad, Barangay Panglayahan in Patikul, Sulu.

Cabangbang said the accident occurred while two UH-1H helicopers with tail numbers 606 and 794 were on their second sortie from Camp General Teodulfo Bautista in Jolo, the capital town of Sulu, to Camp Balabad in Patikul.

Camp Bautista houses the headquarters of the 3rd Marine Brigade while Camp Balabad is the home of the Marine Battalion Landing Team-6 (MBLT-6) headquarters.
The two helicopters took off around 6:56 a.m. for the first sortie of the resupply mission from Camp Bautista to Camp Balabad.

Cabangbang said the helicopter with tail number 606 “hit hard on the ground and rolled down a hill” though the pilots initiated emergency landing after it lost engine power before landing.

The helicopter with two pilots and two crew aboard was a total wreck, Cabangbang said.

He said the remains of the fatalities and the survivor was airlifted by the other UH-1H to the military trauma hospital in Camp Bautista.

MBLT-6 troops immediately rushed to the accident site and secured the area, he said.

Air Force chief Lt. Gen. Oscar H. Rabena has ordered a thorough investigation of the incident.