Mauling of radio reporter shatters Dipolog's serenity PDF Print E-mail
Friday, 05 November 2010 15:04

Dipolog City has been described as a serene and peaceful place, but this description has been shattered by a recent incident where a radio reporter was manhandled by policemen.

Ryan D. Uy of the DXFL-FM station suffered broken ribs and bruises on his face in what has been denounced as "barbaric act" by policemen under City Police Director Supt. Reynaldo Maclang.

The incident happened in the evening of October 29,2010 near the Provincial Capitol of Zamboanga Del Norte inb Barangay Estaka.

Allegedly Uy was mauled because he resisted arrest as a suspect for drug pushing. But the radio reporter was not carrying any deadly weapon when he suffered under the hands of policemen.

Zamboanga del Norte Gov. Rolando Yebes assisted Uy's parents in registering the case under the police blotter on October 30, almost eight hours after he was mauled.    The parents were worried because Ryan went missing.

Yebes said that Uy was not informed by the police of his rights under the Miranda Doctrine when he was arrested.

Peace crusaders against violence convenor Venus Yap of Leopoldo Celisius Memorial Foundation led women and peace loving people of Dipolog City in holding a series of night vigil prayer rallies (November 2,3 and 5) at the Magsaysay Freedom Park near the Dipolog police station seeking justice for Ryan Uy.

Yap said the polices motto is “to serve and protect”,  but people in Dipolog are now afraid of policemen.

Yap said the Dipolog policemen acted like barbarians of the medieval age.

Uy was known in Dipolog City as a critic of the city government and police in his radio program.

Yap said officials should not be onion skinned criticism, because it is  part of  democracy.

She said they have already forwarded a complaint to the Department of Interior and Local Government, National Police Commission, Philippine National Police  and other government agencies against the Dipolog police for grave conduct and unbecoming of officer.

Yap personnally brought yesterday the case to PNP Chief Dir. Gen. Raul Bacalzo in Camp Crame.

By Allen Abastillas