Bomb explosion rocks site of Maguindanao massacre PDF Print E-mail
Thursday, 24 November 2011 13:57

Police theorized that the bomb explosion near the Maguindanao Massacre site early yesterday morning was meant to sow terror and fear in time foryesterday’s commemoration of second anniversary of the gruesome incident.

Police said a roadside bomb placed inside a bag exploded along the highway in Ampatuan town in Maguindanao, about five kilometers away from the site where the killing two years ago of 58 people took place, shortly before 6 a.m., Wednesday.

Supt. Marcelo Pintac, provincial director of the Maguindanao provincial police office, said the bomb was placed inside a bag left by a still unidentified suspect a meter away from the cemented highway.

No one, though, was hurt during the explosion, Pintac said.

Authorities hinted the explosion was meant to sow terror and fear while officials from Maguindanao provincial government, including Governor Esmael “Toto” Mangudadatu, were about to commemorate the second year of the Maguindanao massacre.

Mangudadatu’s wife, Genalyn, was among those killed in the site, along with 57 others.

Pintac, however, allayed fears saying several policemen, including soldiers under the 6th Infantry Division were already deployed along the Ampatuan highway up to the massacre site.

“No need to worry. Nagkalat na sa area ang mga pulis, mga sundalo, at iba pang mga law enforcers ng Maguindanao,” said Pintac.

Not only Mangudadatu’s group and his relatives are planning to troop to the site.

Reports said Interior and Local Government Secretary Jesse Robredo and his staff would also visit the site today.

The explosion took place a day after thousands of reporters and relatives of the 32 slain journalists visited the site.

On Tuesday, running priest Robert Reyes celebrated mass with the relatives at the multi-purpose hall at the site, offered flowers, and lighted candles on the markers of the massacre victims.

“Even in faltering steps, the march of the relatives of friends of the massacre victims continues. Some [of the suspects] are already arrested and detained. The wheels of justice may turn slowly but the march has begun and will not stop,” said Reyes during the mass.

Officials and members of the National Union of Journalists of the Philippines (NUJP) and Justice Now Movement (JNM) said they won’t stop “crying out” for justice until it’s accorded to them.

Two years after the massacre, Reynafe Momay-Castillo, daughter of slain Reynaldo Momay whose body is still missing until today, said justice is still elusive.

“For two years, I am without a father. For two years, there is no justice. For two years, I have been searching for his body,” said Momay-Castillo.