‘Sendong’ death toll hits 56, may continue to rise PDF Print E-mail
Sunday, 18 December 2011 17:10

The death toll from Tropical Storm Sendong (Washi) went up to 56 before noon Saturday, even as authorities feared the toll may continue to rise as some estimates pegged the number of fatalities at 119.

The National Disaster Risk Reduction and Management Council (NDRRMC) was also quoted, in a report by dzBB’s Glen Juego, as saying at least 260 people are also missing, all of them from Iligan City.

DzBB’s report also said the 56 fatalities so far include 40 from Iligan City.
Other fatalities included:

- three from Zamboanga del Norte
- eight from Cagayan de Oro
- five from Monkayo, Compostela Valley

Earlier, NDRRMC head Benito Ramos said he continued to receive reports of more bodies being sighted by military troops.

“We expect the death toll to go up because the mechanized infantry battalions have reported more bodies were found,” he said on government-run dzRB radio.

The NDRRMC’s 9 a.m. update said flooding in Polanco, Zamboanga del Norte affected 468 families or 1,307 people and damaged two houses.

In Caraga, 260 families or 1,560 people were affected in Surigao del Sur and Bislig City, and are sheltered in Lingig Municipal Gym and Mangagoy, Bislig Gym.

Massive flooding was also reported in Region 10,  especially in Iligan and Cagayan de Oro Cities.

“Reports suggest that the overflowing of the river systems of Mandulog and Agos as the source of the flooding,” the NDRRMC said.

One of the fatalities was from Compostela Valley, as landslides were reported at Purok 21 and 22 in Mt. Diwata in Diwalwal in Monkayo town.

Flash floods were also reported in Nabunturan in Compostela Valley.
Dead, missing

Of the Cagayan de Oro fatalities, three were identified as Liza Abenido, Soledad Abejuela and Mabelyn Lapot.

Missing was one Mr. Galvez of Cagayan de Oro City.

As of 8 a.m. Saturday, some 5,040 passengers were stranded along with 82 trucks, six cars, 143 buses, six motorized bancas, and 87 vessels in Western, Central and Eastern Visayas, and Regions 9, 10 and Caraga.

Health officials in Region 10 were placed on Code White Alert, even as medicines worth P50,000 per province were pre-positioned.

Quoting some officials, a report by Agence France-Presse (AFP) indicated the death toll has risen to 119.

Military spokesman Colonel Leopoldo Galon was qutoed as saying they had found 71 bodies in Cagayan de Oro, a major port on Mindanao island, while the NDRRMC said 48 people were killed elsewhere on the island. — GMA News