Celso turns over relief goods for ‘Sendong’ victims to ADZU PDF Print E-mail
Thursday, 22 December 2011 14:51

Mayor Celso Lobregat personally witnessed and commended yesterday the Zamboangueños’ outpour of sympathy and support for the victims of tropical storm “Sendong” in Cagayan de Oro, Iligan and other parts of Mindanao and Visayas as he turned over an institution’s relief donations to the Ateneo de Zamboanga University.
Lobregat together with City Social Welfare and Development Officer Francisco Barredo turned over to ADZU’s “Tabang Sendong” center three truckloads of relief goods composed of rice and grocery packs, clothing, flatbed cushion``ns, mattresses and furnitures like sala sets and chairs, which had earlier been donated by the Filipino-Turkish Tolerance School and several boxes of sardines donated by the SOPHIL through the CSWDO.

As CSWDO personnel were unloading the relief goods at ADZU Brebeuf Gym, other private vehicles also loaded with food and clothing items kept coming in, a show of Zamboangueños’ sympathy and concern for Sendong victims.  

On hand to receive the relief items were ADZU President Fr. Antonio Moreno and Msgr. David Alonso and the volunteers.

As of yesterday, reports placed the death toll from Sendong’s massive flash flooding in CDO and Iligan at 1,000 as authorities said they lost count of how many more were missing in one of the worst calamities to hit the southern coastal region.

The latest tally showed a total of 1,002 have been confirmed dead, including 650 in Cagayan de Oro City and additional 283 in nearby Iligan City, said Benito Ramos, head of the Civil Defense Office. The rest came from several other southern and central provinces.

Sendong swept through the area Saturday dawn and unleashed flash floods in the middle of the night that caught most of the victims in their sleep.

As this developed, City Hall Chief Executive Assistant Mario Roca on orders of the mayor left yesterday for Cagayan de Oro City, bringing the city government’s cash assistance in checks of P1 million each for CDO and Iligan.

This, after the City Council unanimously approved an ordinance the other day, appropriating the cash assistance as earlier recommended by the City Disaster Risk Reduction and Management Council chaired by Lobregat. — Vic Larato