Palace condemns killing of Gensan mediaman PDF Print E-mail
Sunday, 08 January 2012 17:24

Malacanang condemned in the strongest possible terms the killing of journalist Christopher Guarin who was shot dead in General Santos on Thursday evening, a Palace official said on Friday.

Presidential Spokesperson Edwin Lacierda issued the statement following reports that Guarin was attacked late Thursday by two unidentified men riding on a motorcycle.

“The case is now under investigation. The Philippine National Police (PNP) has identified leads and they are in hot pursuit. We will expect the PNP to apprehend the suspects. And again, we condemn the extra-legal killing of another journalist,” Lacierda said during the regular press briefing in Malacanang on Friday.

The Aquino government assured that it remained committed to solving media killings in the country by strengthening the law enforcement.

Guarin, publisher of a local newspaper, Tatak News Nationwide and a blocktimer in Radio Mindanao Network’s dxMD, died from five gunshot wounds in different parts of the body. He was rushed to the General Santos City Hospital where doctors declared him dead on arrival.

Guarin was also the former manager of the defunct RGMA Super Radyo. He also previously worked as reporter for Bombo Radyo Gensan.

His wife, Lyn, was reportedly wounded during the attack. Guarin and his wife were riding on their KIA sedan when the gunmen attacked them along Conel Road in Barangay Lagao, General Santos at around 10:30 p.m.

Guarin is the first mediaman to have been killed in the Philippines so far this year.