Lobregat reminds summer job students on community service PDF Print E-mail
Friday, 04 May 2012 14:29

Mayor Celso Lobregat yesterday reminded the 1,917 mostly high school students composing the second batch of this year’s Special Program for the Employment of Students (SPES) on the value of community service under the summer job program.

He said students hired by the city government for summer jobs are also assigned to cleanliness and the protection of the environment; they are give livelihood to continue their studies, and to assist the barangays in the maintenance of security and order.

The second batch brings 3,487 the total number of students hired by the city government for this year’s summer job program, or an increase of 587 compared to last year’s 2,900. This is also the 20th year of SPES implementation in Zamboanga City.

The first batch mostly college students numbering 1,570 started working last April 10 until May 8 or 20 days at P200 per day for a total of P4,000 each. The second batch started yesterday, May 3 to May 25 (including Satudays).

They are assigned in the different barangays and offices for cleanliness and beautification, carpentry, janitorial, clerical job and mangrove planting.

Under the program, the city government will pay 60% or P120 of the student’s daily salary, while the Department of Labor and Employment (DOLE-9) will pay the remaining 40% of P80 each/daily. For this year, the city had allocated P9 million for SPES while DOLE’s counterpart is P5.1 million.

According to City Social Welfare and Development Officer Francisco Barredo, SPES is one of the poverty alleviation programs of the city government in line with its commitment to serve the indigent families in the city.

Present during yesterday’s SPES orientation were Vice Mayor Cesar Iturralde, Councilors Lilia Nuño, Rey Candido, Percival Ramos, Nonong Guingona, Gerky Valesdo, Rudy Lim, VP Elago and Eddie Saavedra together with City Hall Chief Executive Assistant Mario Roca and the mayor’s brother, Jomar, and a representative of DOLE-9. — Vic Larato