Bus terminal project in Divisoria soon to roll PDF Print E-mail
Wednesday, 16 May 2012 14:17

Mayor Celso Lobregat will soon lead city officials in the groundbreaking ceremony for the controversial Integrated Bus Terminal (IBT)  project in Barangay Divisoria.

Lobregat told newsmen yesterday that BenHar & 3VC, a Manila-Zamboanga City  consortium, that won the bidding for the project, is ready to start the construction of the IBT.

“Anytime, BenHar & 3VC will submit the details of engineering plans of the project,” said the mayor.

Lobregat said the Temporary Restraining Order (TRO) that was granted by the court after it was sought by the losing bidders RCDG Construction Corp. and R.U. Aquino Construction and Development Corp. has already lapsed. He explained that the TRO was only for 20 days.

Thereafter, he said, he should implement the project for the benefit of the city as many residents and non residents as well as visitors are clamoring for the city to have an integrated bus terminal.

A backhoe was seen yesterda clearing the area for the IBT.

The Regional Trial Court recently granted the motion for the issuance of TRO) filed by RCDG and Ru. Aquino seeking to  stop the Zamboanga City Government from re-bidding the bus terminal project in Divisoria.

The two petitioners had filed with the court a special civil action asking for a certiorari, mandamus and permanent injunction with application for TRO or
writ of preliminary injunction to prohibit the city government from “re-advertising, rebuilding and other acts in furtherance of the rebidding of the IBT Project.”

RCDG, a local contractor which was awarded the  contract for the construction of the IBT in Divisoria in 2009, had earlier filed a contempt of court charge against Dr. Mario Arriola, chairman of the city’s Bids and Awards Committee (BAC) , alleging that the latter violated the status quo  agreement on the IBT by ordering its rebidding, which was published in the July  31, 2011 issue of the Philippine Daily Inquirer and the Philippine Government  Electronic Procurement System (PHILGEPS) website.  Both rebidding notices  were signed by Dr. Arriola.

At the same time, RCDG moved for the issuance by the court of a TRO or preliminary injunction to stop all rebidding activities  ordered by the BAC chairman for the construction of the IBT.

RCDG was joined in the motion by R.U. Aquino Construction and Development Corporation, which is in joint venture with RCDG for the project.

In documents filed in court, the Roque & Butuyan Law Office and Atty. Vic R. Solis, lawyers for the RCDG, cited a court order dated December 16, 2010 which recognized a status quo agreement with the lawyers for the city.

The contract for the construction of the integrated bus terminal was awarded to  RCDG in joint venture with R.U. Aquino Construction  Corporation on April 13, 2009. It was later cancelled by Mayor Lobregat, which led  to the contractors filing of a civil case with the RTC, questioning the  cancellation order of the mayor.

The court case has dragged the bus terminal project which is a flagship project of the Lobregat administration and similar viewed by many quarters as an important undertaking considering that almost all cities in Mindanao have modern and attractive bus terminals, except for Zamboanga City.

Meanwhile, Councilor Benjamin “Nonong” Guingona, chairman of the City Council’s Committee on Elderly and Disadvantage Group,lauded Mayor Lobregat for the completion and inauguration of the Multi-Purpose and Senior Citizens Building  in Barangay Boalan yesterday morning.

The multi-purpose building is a two-storey structure. The first level is the office for senior citizens for their office use and socialization activities and the second level is a multi-purpose hall that will be used for conferencces and meetings.

The rehabilitation of the building cost P 1.8 million. The building was constructed during the time of the late Mayor Maria Clara L. Lobregat. — Allen Abastillas