SPES studes get salaries PDF Print E-mail
Saturday, 26 May 2012 15:52

Mayor Celso Lobregat on Thursday paid out the city government’s 60% share of the salaries of 120 summer job students from six barangays comprising the first batch of this year’s Special Program for the Employment of Students (SPES)

Those included in the ceremonial distribution of salaries were from barangays Guiwan-30, Talon-Talon- 30, Labuan- 25, Zone 3- 10, Quiniput- 15 and Tigbalabag- 10.

The first batch mostly college students numbering 1,570 started working last April 10 until May 8 or 20 days at P200 per day for a total of P4,000 each.
Distribution of the salaries of the other 1st batch SPES beneficiaries continued at the City Treasurer’s Office yesterday, Friday. The same will continue today, Saturday, May 26.

They were assigned in the different barangays and offices for cleanliness and beautification, carpentry, janitorial, clerical job and mangrove planting.

Under the program, the city government pays 60% or P120 of the student’s daily salary, while the Department of Labor and Employment (DOLE-9) will pay the remaining 40% of P80 each/daily. For this year, the city had allocated P9 million for SPES while DOLE’s counterpart is P5.1 million.

Present during the ceremonial distribution were City Social Welfare and Development Officer Francisco Barredo and the chairmen of the barangay concerned together with the parents of the students.

Meanwhile, distribution of salaries for students hired under the second batch SPES will be next week pending the completion of documents and other requirements. — Vic Larato