Cop, fish vendor shot dead PDF Print E-mail
Thursday, 31 May 2012 14:25

A policeman of the Autonomous Region in Muslim Mindanao (ARMM) and a fish vendor are the latest fatalities in gun attacks in Zamboanga city.

PO1 Ashri Nuh Naruddin was shot dead by one of three men aboard a motorcycle along Alfaro St., Tetuan yesterday morning, while Hussin Jumaari y Jamilun, 47, married, was gunned down in Barangay Dita last Tueday night.

Naruddin, married, was a resident of Waling-Waling, Tugbungan and was assigned in Basilan Province. He sustained a bullet wound in the head and died on the spot.

Police said that Naruddin was aboard a passenger jeepney that was bound for city proper when the gunmen appeared and shot him at close range.

Sulaiman Mustafa, driver of the PUJ, told investigators that Naruddin boarded at Waling-Waling and when the jeepney stopped at the junction of Alfaro and Falcatan Sts, as one of the passengers alighted, three men riding on a motorcycle appeared from behind and stopped beside them. One of the backriders pulled out a handgun and pumped a bullet into Naruddin’s head.

Mustafa said the assailants sped away towards the city proper after shooting Naruddin.

He said that his other passengers were terrified and scampered in different directions.

Operatives of the Tetuan Police Station led by Chief Insp. Elmer Acuña mounted a hot pursuit operation for the possible arrest of the killers.

Naruddin is the second policeman to have been shot dead this year. PO2 Titing Tuason was gunned down outside Chowking restaurant along Gov. Camins Avenue last March.

Hussin Jumaari, 47, married, was walking on his way home coming from a mosque around 7:30 p.m. in Barangay Dita when a gunman appeared and shot him several times. He sustained  multiple bullet wounds in the body and was rushed to the hospital where he was declared dead  on arrival.

The body was claimed by his relatives for burial services in Islam rites after a post mortem examination was conducted.

Men of the Curuan police station headed by Chief Insp. Ricardo Garcia were still working on the case. — Dan Toribio Jr.