Marines deployed to look for missing Jordanian TV journalist, 2 crew men PDF Print E-mail
Thursday, 21 June 2012 13:53

The Naval Forces Western Mindanao (NFWM) has deployed Marine units to look for missing Jordanian journalist Baker Abdulla Atyani and his two Filipino crewmen who have been reported in the custody of the Abu Sayyaf Group (ASG) in Sulu.

Atyani, regional bureau chief of the Al Arabiya news channel based in Dubai, United Arab Emirates, and his Filipino crew — cameraman Ramelito Vela, 39, and audio operator Rolando Letrero, 22 — were officially declared missing last June 12.

Col. Jose Johriel Cenabre, NFWM deputy commander for Marines operation, said that there is no rescue operation yet despite this order.

He added that the status of the three is still “missing” and not kidnapped although they are now in the hands of the ASG.

It can be recalled that Atyani and his Filipino crew were declared missing after they failed to return to their room at the Sulu State College Hostel where they checked in at 11 p.m. on June 11

At 5:45 a.m. on June 12, the three men were reportedly fetched by a man driving a multicab and have not returned since then.

“They are with the Abu Sayyaf, yes, but as (to) they were kidnapped or doing interview until now, we are not really sure because they have with them their equipment,” Cenabre said.