CHO to mount 2nd massive campaign against dengue in affected barangays PDF Print E-mail
Tuesday, 24 July 2012 14:23

After registering 23 deaths from more than 2,000 cases, the city government through the City Health Office will carry out another massive campaign against dengue hemorrhagic fever on Saturday, July 29, in affected barangays in the city.

The general clean-up will concentrate on the eight most affected barangays “and this is already a massive war against dengue since cases of such are continuously increasing,” said City Health Officer Rodel Agbulos.

Record showed that number of dengue cases from January to July this year is much higher than entire year of 2011 that resulted in the early declaration of an outbreak.

Last week, at least seven barangays with high cases of dengue (Tumaga, Guiwan, Lunzuran, Tetuan, Tugbungan, Putik and Pasonanca) were visited by personnel of the different government agencies, NGOs, students of the various colleges and universities, PNP, the military and other concerned groups led by CHO for the first round of the so-called “massive war” which has concentrated more on the search and destroy of dengue breeding places.

Although it was a successful one, medical personnel have observed a not so impressive participation from the residents of the community concerned.

“I appeal to the barangay officials to lead their respective residents in the clean up drive for they will be the one who will benefit this campaign against dengue that has already claimed many lives of innocent children,” Agbulos appealed as his office is in the stage of preparation for the second round of the clean up drive on Saturday targeting barangays like Sta. Maria, Pasonanca, San Roque, Cabatangan, Baliwasan, Calarian, Canelar and Tumaga.

Yesterday, an emergency meeting was called upon CHO medical officers and Sanitary Inspectors for assignment of responsibilities on the clean-up day which aims to minimize dengue cases in the city.

A one-day Dengue Summit is also scheduled tomorrow (Wednesday) at Astoria Plaza with guests like DOH Assistant Secretary (ASEC) Dr. Eric Tayag and ASEC for Mindanao Cluster Romulo Busuego attending said affair. — Jimmy Villalfores