Zambo gives P10-M to ‘habagat’ victims PDF Print E-mail
Sunday, 12 August 2012 14:34

Mayor Celso Lobregat ordered on Friday the immediate release of P10 million from the city government’s calamity fund to help thousands of families displaced by monsoon rains or “habagat” in 19 municipalities in Luzon.

Lobregat issued the order to City Treasurer Soledad Li and City Budget Officer Virginia Gara after his emergency meeting with members of the City Disaster Risk Reduction Management Council (CDRRMC) at City Hall conference room.

Of the amount, P1 million will be given to San Mateo, Rizal, a sister town of Zamboanga City, and P9 million to be shared among 18 other flood-stricken municipalities at P500,000 each. 

These municipalities include Masantol, Macabebe, Calumpit, Paombong, Hagonoy, Obando and Bucaue, all in the province of Bulacan; Concepcion, Paniqui and Capas in Tarlac Province; Dinalupihan, Orani and Mariveles in Bataan; Sto. Tomas and Minalin in Pampanga; San Marcelino and Iba in the province of Zambales.

A city official will personally hand over the checks to the concern local government units tomorrow, Monday. 

During the hastily-called meeting of the CDRRMC Friday afternoon, Lobregat told the members that he had just talked over the phone to Interior and Local Government Secretary Jesse Robredo, informing him about the city’s intention to donate P10-million for the “habagat” victims in Luzon.

“Sec. Robredo told me that he will immediately inform Pres. Aquino about our P10-million financial assistance for Luzon flood victims and I asked him which areas in Luzon that really need the money most. Then, he (Robredo) texted me the affected municipalities (mentioned earlier),” Lobregat said, prompting the CDRRMC to pass a resolution approving the release of P10 million from the city’s calamity fund and give the same to the intended towns.

Meanwhile, the City Council approved Wednesday a resolution giving the chief executive a blanket authority to act whatever is necessary with regard to the massive calamity that hit Luzon early this week.

Severe weather conditions brought about by the so-called southwest monsoon or “habagat” had resulted in incessant rains and massive flashfloods in most of Luzon, including Metro Manila. At least 10 people died, others still missing and thousands of families evacuated.

To recall, the city government of Zamboanga on several occasions in the past had also extended financial assistance to disaster-stricken areas in the country.

These included the P500,000 worth of relief goods given to Jolo, Sulu when flashfloods hit the town in February 2011; P1 million each to Iligan and Cagayan de Oro when the two cities were devastated by Typhoon “Sendong” in December 2011 and; P435,000 in total cash aid to 58 families injured or lost their loved ones in armed conflict in Basilan last year.

Also recipients of the city’s financial assistance for disaster and calamity areas were s Aurora Province, Marikina City, Dagupan City, Pangasinan, Trece Martires, Cavite, Santiago City, and Calamba Laguna. — Vic Larato