Mystery shrouds release of Chinese exec in Zambo PDF Print E-mail
Tuesday, 28 August 2012 14:21

Mystery shrouds the release of a Chinese company executive who was kidnapped in Kabasalan, Zamboanga Sibugay on June 4, 2012 and was freed in Arena Blanco, this city  at dawn last Sunday.

The release of Jian Luo alias James Luo, 43, a native of Guandong, China, has not been officially recorded by the police authorities in the region and in Zamboanga City, but it has been documented by journalists who filed their stories that were published in newspapers (including Daily Zamboanga Times) and broadcast in radio and television yesterday.

Abandoned by his captors in Arena Blanco around 1:30 a.m., Luo asked barangay officials to bring him to a local hotel where he was received by a Chinese businessman identified as Mr. Que, according to a reliable source. As of press time, is reportedly billeted in that hotel.

The same source said Luo’s release came after a negotiation was carried out by a police official  at the said hotel earlier on Sunday.

The source said a bag containing P7 million was handed by a emissary to two men aboard a motorcycle after which Luo gained freedom in Arena Blanco.

Confronted by newsmen, top regional police officials and Mayor Celso Lobregat said they have no knowledge on Luo’s .release.

Luo’s companion, Lin Yuankai alias Jampong Lin, 38,  remains in captivity. Negotiation for his release is being continued by the same group that secured the release of Luo.

Kabasalan, Zamboanga Sibugay Mayor George Cainglet confirmed the release of Luo after the payment of ransom.

Luo and Lin were abducted by six gunmen who broke into a house owned by Joyan Chiong in Barangay F.L Peña about 8 p.m.on June 4.

The two victims were herded by the gunmen and at gunpoint were dragged into a getaway vehicle, a white van with plate number WTE 606, which sped off towards unknown direction.   

The two Chinese businessmen had been frequenting Kabasalan for five years now.

Meanwhile, Arena Blanco officials led by Chairman Mujiv Abdulhussin clarified that they have nothing to do with the “secret negotiation” for the release of Luo.

The officials admitted they were the ones who brought Luo to a hotel using the new barangay vehicle at dawn last Sunday.

Abdulhussin’s men visited RMN-Zamboanga station yesterday morning to make some clarification after they were suspected to have been involved in the negotiation

According to Kagawad Gerry Kadil, around 1 a.m. Sunday, he and other officials Mr. Pittuh and some tanods were resting at the Barangay Hall when a Chinesman arrived seeking assistance for him to get in touch with a friend who was at a hotel at that time.

Asked why he was in Arena Blanco, Kadil said the Chinese, who was talking in English, told them he got lost.

Luo claimed he boarded a passenger jeepney and alighted near the barangay hall where he sought help from the people inside.

Using Mr. Luo’s mobile phone, Kadil was able to talk to a man at the hotel who asked them a favor to bring his friend (Mr. Luo) to the hotel.

Kadil said that upon arrival at the hotel, the man met and gave them P1, 000 for gasoline for their vehicle. — With report from Jimmy Villaflores