Freed Chinese exec undergoes debriefing PDF Print E-mail
Friday, 31 August 2012 14:40

Police Regional Director Chief Supt. Napoleon Estilles yesterday said the freed kidnap Chinese businessman Jian Luo alias James Luo, 43, has undergone debriefing and medical checkup before he was taken to Manila.

In an interview, Estilles told newsmen that as a standard operating procedure, his office’s medical personnel conducted medical checkup on Luo after they were informed of his release at dawn last Sunday dawn.

Estilles said the check-up showed Luo in good health condition. He was found out to have no injuries or even bruises.

During the debriefing, Luo told the police that right after he and his companion Lin Yuankai alias Janpong Lin, 38, were seized by gunmen in Kabasalan, Zamboanga Sibugay last June 4, 2012, they boarded a pumpboat that sailed for six hours after which they walked for three hours.

Luo added that they were told by the kidnappers that they were in Basilan and they were blindfolded all the time.

Moreover, Luo said he walked for three hours and boarded a pumpboat for six hours before he was recovered by barangay officials of Arena Blanco at dawn last Sunday.

Some investigators however doubted Luo was taken and kept in captivity in Basilan. His physical appearance, they said, seemed to indicate that he was just kept within an urban area, possibly here in this city.

Estilles did not say which group was behind the kidnapping of the two Chinese businessmen but according to an earlier report, some lawless elements operating in Sibugay were behind the kidnapping of the two foreigners.

Estilles has no knowledge on the ransom paid for the release of Luo. A reliable source had earlier said that Luo’s group led by a certain Andy Que handed over a bag containing P7 million to two men riding on a motorcycle at the parking lot of a local hotel.

The mysterious circumstances behind Luo’s release irked the police and local officials.

It was learned that the City Council has invited to its next session Chief Supt. Estilles and Chief Supt. Manuel Barcena to shed light on the release of Luo, including the payment of the P7 million.

Estilles stressed that the police is strictly maintain the so called “no-ransom policy”.

Earlier reports gathered by newsmen that Luo was released in Arena Blanco and was taken by the barangay officials to a hotel along Gov. Camins Avenue where the payment of P7 million was turned over to the kidnappers. — Dan Toribio Jr.