Barcena denies part in negotiation for release of Chinese businesman PDF Print E-mail
Sunday, 02 September 2012 14:30

Police Director Manuel Barcena, chief of the PNP’s Directorate Integrated for Police Operation (DIPO), yesterday denied any direct involvement in the negotiation for the release of one of the two Chinese businessmen in the city last week.

In a news conference, Barcena clarified that his presence at a local hotel where a certain Andy Que reportedly turned over P7 million in ransom to two men riding tandem on a motorcycle was only            coincidence.

During the conference, Barcena distributed to newsmen a prepared press statement stating that on August 26, 2012 (Sunday), he was at the Garden Orchid Hotel with visitors waiting for their flight back to Manila.

“I was personally informed by Mr. Ben Chan, friend of Mr Andy Que, that the Chinese kidnap victim, Mr James Luo, was already released by his captors at about 12:45 in the morning of said date,” said Barcena.

“I met Mr Ben Chan last August 24,2012 while I was having my breakfast at Garden (Orchid) Hotel together with my visitors and other PNP personnel. I learned from him that his friend, Mr Andy Que was present in the city for he was allegedly negotiating for the release of a Chinese kidnap victim here in Zamboanga City. I then immediately called the Chief of Anti Kidnapping Group here in Zamboanga City and instructed him to do the necessary follow up/coordination on the said information.  I accidentally came to know about the release of Mr James

Luo when no other than Mr Ben Chan personally informed me that Mr Luo was already with them in the said hotel. Of course, as the highest PNP Official present, I have to do my job which was to secure the released victim. Since this is a very sensational case, it has to be handled properly considering that the other victim is still at the hands of their captors,” Barcena explained.

He pointed out that as the Director of DIPO-WM, he immediately coordinated with the Regional Director of PRO 9 (Chief Supt. Napoleon Estilles) and the commander of WESMINCOM.

He added that he also informed the Chief Philippine National Police who instructed him to conduct a debriefing awaiting for the possible release of the other victim, Mr Yuankai.

The DIPO-WM chief came with the press statement after his office was linked to the alleged secret negotiation and release of Jian Luo alias James Luo, who was dropped by kidnappers in Arena Blanco at dawn last August 26

Barcena added that the supposed release of the other kidnap victim (Yuankai) was compromised due to the untimely reports circulated that there was some sort of irregularities and mismanagement in the handling of the situation by government authorities for the release of the kidnap victims. – Dan Toribio Jr.