No. of firecracker injuries goes down this holiday season PDF Print E-mail
Tuesday, 04 January 2011 16:47

The City Health Office has registered a low figure on firecracker injuries this year's holiday season compared to that of previous years.

City Health Office records showed that from December 19, 2010 to December 31, 2010 midnight, Zamboanga City Medical Center recorded 20 victims all related to firecrackers, Western Mindanao Medical Center 8 with one admission, Zamboanga Brent Hospital 3 including one victim of stray bullet from Barangay Cawit, Labuan Hospital 2 for a total of 35.

However the CHO records on firecracker victims increased to 48 yesterday or an addition of 13 more victims who were rushed to the hospital after the New Year’s celebration.

Last year, City Health Officer Rodel Agbulos said his office registered 69 firecracker victims.

However, Agbulos said his office is still expecting additional victims from the different hospitals since previous records will show that even after the celebration of the New Year, hospitals are still recording firecracker related cases.

“It seems that our advocacy against the use of dangerous firecrackers is very effective. We will continue to this until we achieve the target of zero casualty,” Agbulos said.

This early, Agbulos said he is studying the possibility of designating a common place in every barangay for firework display.

“We are planning to do this but an ordinance has to be approved first,” Agbulos stressed.

Meanwhile, the Department of Health is eyeing a total firecracker ban throughout the country to achieve the zero casualty during the annual celebration New Year. -- Jimmy Villaflores